Everyone occasionally experiences halitosis (bad breath). In most cases, bad breath is temporary and not considered abnormal. However, persistent bad breath can signal dental or other health problems and should be addressed. Our dentists at New Hampshire Center for Comprehensive Dentistry offer bad breath treatment in Amherst, New Hampshire, to help you manage your halitosis and enjoy a healthier mouth.
At New Hampshire Center for Comprehensive Dentistry, our dentists are experienced in identifying and treating the many different causes of halitosis. Getting to know your personal habits, diet, and medical history, as well as the history of your symptoms, and then, a thorough examination, will help you and your dentist create a personalized treatment plan. You can be confident that your breath can be fresh and pleasant to others.
Some of the causes of bad breath include:
- Inadequate dental hygiene
- Periodontal (gum) disease
- Dry mouth (xerostomia)
- Infections of the respiratory tract
- Systemic illnesses
- Cigarette smoking and chewing tobacco
- Certain foods and beverages
Here are some suggestions to keep your breath fresh:
- Maintain good dental hygiene—brush your teeth, gums, and tongue at least twice per day and floss once per day. Use a tongue scraper, cleaning as far back on the tongue as possible, to remove mucus and bacteria.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Visit your dentist at least twice per year for a professional dental examination and cleaning.
- Chew sugar-free gum or suck on sugarless candy.
- Eat foods like raw carrots and celery.
Our dentists may also recommend specific oral rinses or prescription products.
Please feel free to contact our office if you have any questions, or to schedule your consultation with our dentists.